19 Dec 2020
Best Practices for Reducing Trash During the Holidays!
The holidays are notorious for generating more waste than the rest of the year! Here are some of the best ideas we’ve come across on ways to implement eco-friendly practices during the festive season:
- Send e-cards instead of paper holiday cards.
- Buy wrapping accessories made from recyclable material – avoid metallic and plastic wrapping paper which are not recyclable. Better yet, make use of materials you already have like old newspaper and shipping boxes!
- Re-use wrapping paper, ribbons and gift boxes for next year and remember to recycle anything you can’t.
- Give gifts that do not generate a lot of waste – such as gift certificates, tickets to live experiences, memberships or homemade gifts.
- Recycle your natural tree – find free drop-off locations in your neighborhood, or cut up your tree to include in your yard waste container or use it as mulch.
- Buy a potted tree instead and decorate it during the holidays. Re-plant it afterwards.
- Use table clothes instead of paper napkins and washable cups instead of plastic and paper ones. Load up the dishwasher or assign a dish-washing committee after dinner!
- Bring reusable canvas bags when you are out gift shopping.
- Set a timer for your holiday lights and opt for LED ones which use 80% less energy than the standard!
- Shop locally or online to cut down on transportation and keep your carbon footprint down.
You don’t need to compromise on a fun, festive holiday when you follow these tips! Best wishes for a happy holiday season from Your Trash Team!